Thursday, December 04, 2003

It Stinks!

In the tradition of the great cartoon "The Critic" ...

1) The so-called "VGA"'s Video Game Awards on Spike TV are really stupid. Don't get me wrong, the concept is fantastic. I think the guys that put all the work into the games that we play deserve some public recognition, but not like this. But they don't announce Nominees, they actually annouced the "Game of the Year" right off the bat! I can understand Spike TV wanting to snag rating with Lil' Kim, Jenna Jameson and other sexy women, but it makes no sense. Why not let the games speak for themselves (so to speak)?

And I honestly think the "nominees" are basically looking to get exposure for more sales. True Crime has been out for exactly one month, and it nabbed the "Action Game of the Year" award. After a month? Makes no sense to me, and even while the TV show is airing you could still vote on the site! WTF?!? Why not close the polls an hour before the show starts?

And how in the hell did "Enter the Matrix" win ANYTHING? Everyone I've talked to that actually PLAYED the game said it wasn't very good.

I'd like to see an actual awards show (with no ballot stuffing like you could with the VGA's) that accurately reflects the good games from the bad ones... But I guess that's why magazines like PC Gamer and EGM are out there so that the truth of the matter is shown. Which games suck and which don't.

No comments: