Tuesday, May 03, 2005

OK So It's not like the book! Big Deal!

I saw the opening of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" on opening night this past Friday. Chuck and I got to the theatre (with our towels of course.. yes we ACTUALLY brought towels with us), and sat down to watch a movie we've been waiting nearly 20 years for.

It's not an exact duplicate of the book or Radio Series. As much as I would have LOVED to seen a exact duplicate up on the big screen, I knew that wasn't going to happen (unlike the multitudes of HHGTTG fans that seem to think that they can have a tremendous influence over a series by bitching about it incessantly). What they did do is compress the basic plot of the first book into a nice 1 hour and 45+ min package. Considering that Douglas Adams had written 90% of the movie, I think a lot of fans are pissing on it for the wrong reason. They cry "The director hacked at the book and made it a piece of garbage!" Well I hate to break it to you, but Adams himself wrote the garbage. So if you don't like it, don't watch it again.

I found it hilarious. I was laughing so hard I honestly felt the blood rush from my head and I started to feel faint. The Guide sequences were spot on, and I feel they did a tremendous job with the Heart of Gold seqeunces, and Marvin. The only thing I found off was Zaphod - not that he wasn't cast right (Sam Rockwell is a funny actor), but it was the second head. I would have preferred to see the second head next to the first (like in the TV Series).

All in all HHGTTG was a great movie. I'm hoping that it'll make enough so we can see "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" in a year or two.

And to all that couldn't stand it - I understand. Really I do. We've all been cutting and directing the film version in our heads for years now. We knew what Zaphod would look like and what the Heart of Gold would look like.

Lighten up people - it's just a movie.

No comments: