Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Banker's Hours

I work in a bank.

I work “banker’s hours”

Not anymore.

The bank that I work for is switching from “2 weeks vacation/paid holidays/5 days sick time/2 personal days” to Paid Time-Off.

And I’m not sure if I like that yet.  We may or may not have to work bank holidays.  If we don’t work the holidays, we HAVE to use our PTO.  We can’t take an unpaid day off so we can use that time somewhere else.  I won’t be getting 3 weeks vacation (like the old system).  I could take 3 weeks vacation and holidays, but I wouldn’t have any sick time to work with.

I really think it sucks, and it’ll take some getting used to. I’m thankful I have a job that is steady and won’t be going anywhere, but at the same time I feel like I’m getting screwed over on my time off.   I signed up to work in an office environment, not a retail store.  I signed up, knowing that 5 years in that I’d get 3 weeks paid vacation.  I kinda feel robbed.  I really feel that the time and work that I’ve put in at the company has been for nothing – no reward for the years of service I’ve given them.

But at the same time, I do like the complete flexibility that PTO offers.  I might not want to work President’s Day, and I could use that time that I would have used and use it on another day.  If I want to take every last Friday of every month off, I could.  It’s better than most retail/food service.  Most other jobs I’ve held offered NO vacation/sick time/benefits, so I should be grateful for what I have.

But I still can’t shake the feeling that I got shafted.

No comments: