Friday, August 01, 2003

Are we that backwater?

Seriously, though. I live in Maine. We have cable internet, running water, electricity - hell we even got the biggest Wal-Mart in the Northeast!

But I looked into Vonage (www.vonage.com), a broadband telephone company. The way it works is like this :

You take your Braodband internet connection (either DSL or Cable Modem), plug in into a router and connect a Cisco ATA port onto it. Then plug in any standard telephone, and... Voila! Instant telephone! It works like a regular telephone (including a local number), and it's a flat fee of 39.99 a month.

Sounds grat, don't it?

IT'S UNAVAILABLE IN MAINE! Grrr....

This service would solve all my communication problems. I can't get a regular phone line, and although a pre-paid cell phone might work, I don't like cellphones in general (although I might have to go that route). I hope that Vonage gets with the program and makes it available in Maine. I know I'd be the first to sign up in my town.

No comments: