Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Pure Imagination

Just finished watching "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory".

And listening to the highly entertaining commentary featuring the 5 kids (who are now in their 40's) from the movie.

Peter Ostrum (who played Charlie) said the most interesting thing near the end.

When Charlie puts the Gobstopper on the desk, Wonka turns around and says to him "My Boy..." Could it be that Wonka is Charlie's father? Think about it. In the context of the movie (not the book), Charlie has no Father. Their's Grandpa Joe and his Mom, and his bed-ridden Aunts and Uncles. Which goes to spark "Wonkagate". Again, in the context of the movie Slugworth (who we later find out is working for Wonka) is always present when the Golden Tickets are found. Could it be that Wonka planted the 5 Tickets (including his son, Charlie's) just fix it so that Charlie would win in the end?

Hehe.. yeah I know I'm reading into a simple movie, but I'll never watch the movie as subjectively as I have in the past. Now that the idea is in my head, I'll think "Wow.. that really makes sense once you think about it".

But then again it's Pure Imagination....

No comments: