Friday, November 14, 2008

To quest or not to quest...

Well, after much anticipation, World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King released on Thursday.

And therein lies a dilemma.  I’m still 4000 gold short of buying my epic flying mount, and (sadly) the great run of daily quests in QuelDanas have had their gold rewards drastically reduced. So what do I do?  Wrath is geared for high level playing and end-game content, but what about new players or players that are just getting back into the game?  Getting an epic flying mount help tremendously in Outland, but getting 5000 gold is going to be tough, especially since Blizzard dropped the gold rewards on the Level 70 daily quests.  So how am I going to make any money?

I really wish I had transfer onto the PvE server earlier – I could have had my epic already! J

And it’s been less than 24 since Wrath’s launch and someone on the EU’s Drek’thar server ALREADY HIT 80!  Ten level in less than 24 hours?  Do these people even have lives?  I mean, it’s a fun game and all, but jesus – get out and breath some fresh air every now and then!

I’m beginning to wonder if Blizzard even thought the whole level progression through.  80 in less than 24 from 70?  Maybe it’s time to rethink XP in the game.  Either stop giving the Rested XP bonus after 70 if you are in the inn – or maybe extending the amount of XP needed to level.  I’m wondering if these people in their rush to 80 even bother to enjoy the game that Blizzard worked hard on creating.  They are in such a mad rush to be the first to 80 (by way of achievements) that they skip quest lines, and just grind and/or quest until they achieve their goal.

And I’m not the first to say this, but I wonder how unhealthy this type of behavior is.  I am a believer that video game/internet addiction exists, and players like these prove it.  I, for one, have a life outside of the game.  Don’t take that as a slam against ALL MMO players.  I know plenty of people that have a job, family, friends and still play WoW.  But there are people that, sadly, WoW is their life.  That’s all they do. And to me, that paints a sad, sad, picture of today’s society. When a computer game can eclipse real life as a priority – I begin to wonder about humanity ability to thrive.

No comments: