Tuesday, March 17, 2009

QuakeLive

I have one word to say about it.

Unbelievable.

I signed up for QuakeLive today, on a whim. I’m a decent FPS player – not pro by any stretch of the imagination – and I like to play Quake or HL2 on occasion.

Then I heard about QuakeLive, and decided to give it a shot.

And it rocks.  For a browser game, it set the bar so high, I don’t know of any other game that can come close to the professional quality that these guys have pulled together.

The first 10 minutes of the game is actually a tutorial.  Which also disguises the fact that while you play it, it’s 1) downloading the rest of the game and 2) assessing your ability so it can match you against players of your caliber. Pretty sneaky.

But through in a worldwide leaderboard, a friends leaderboard, chat functions, achievements, and statistics up the wazoo, and you have an excellent experience.

But throw in one of the smoothest browser shooters I’ve EVER seen, and you have yourself a very incredible experience.

No comments: