Monday, May 25, 2009

Listmania – Favorite Atari 2600 games

Been listening to old episodes of retronauts lately.  Been reminiscing about the old Atari 2600 games that I played when I was growing up, and which ones were my favorites.  So without further ado….

Armor Ambush – Call it Combat 2 (even though that exists), or even Combat Advanced – it’s an awesome tank game.

Asteroids – I’m geekily proud to say I’ve rolled the score over 7 times in a row on 2600 Asteroids.

Combat – There’s nothing quite like shooting your friends with tank, biplanes or jets.

Enduro – One of the first racing games I REALLY enjoyed playing.  I distinctly remember getting this for my birthday the year I had chicken pox

Kaboom! – one of the few paddle games that I was actually good at.  One of the first twitch games.

Missile Command – This is one of the original great games.

Pitfall! – One of the best games.  Ever.  I spent days playing Pitfall, eventually getting enough points to send away for one of the sewn-on patches that Activision was giving out.  Was really the precursor to today achievement points on the Xbox.

Raiders of the Lost Ark – After enjoying the movie, I have great (but frustrating) memories of trying to solve this game.  Still haven’t done it.

Solar Fox – If I’m not mistaken, the object of this game was to maneuver a ship over squares to change their colors within a time limit (or avoiding lasers – one of the two).

Yars’ Revenge – This was the first game that I ever played where I found an Easter Egg.  At some point during the game, if you destroy Qotile in Swirl form in flight, and then maneuver Yar on the line, the initials HSWWSH appear on the screen, ending the game. HSW are the initial of Howard Scott Warshaw.

No comments: