Sunday, November 09, 2003

As Promised

I'm back with a little more detail than my previous post.

Ok here's what I think are the breakdown of the characters and their Biblical counterparts

Neo - Jesus (duh!)
Morpheus - John the Baptist (especially during the first movie and during his speech in Zion during the second movie)
The Architect/The Oracle - God (The Architect - Creating the World/The Oracle - benevolent deity over the world)
Bane/Agent Smith/Cypher - The Devil
Trinity - The Holy Trinity (Father, Son, Holy Spirit)

The Nebuchadnezzar (I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream has gone from me - From the Book of Daniel), The Logos (Logos can also be used to denote Everything that radically transcends every human word and thought: the Absolute Meaning), and Zion (Monument; raised up; sepulchel). Neo's coming back to life (the resurrection), Neo bringing Trinity back to life (Christ bringing Lazarus back to life), and of course the notion of Free Will.

And those are just in Matrix Reloaded.

For the stuff in Revolutions, you've got the fall of a city (similar to Sodom and Gommorah), Neo returning back to what created him (Jesus' ascension to the Father), the possession of Bane by Agent Smith (like the possesion of the madman by the spirit Legion...) which incidentally takes it's name because "we are many" just like Agent Smith's duplicates in the Matrix. I haven't found anything referencing Peter's betrayal of Jesus, unless you count the Commander Lock's constant "I don't believe that Neo's the One" spiel. But I can't remember if he comes around in the end... I'll have to go see the movie again.

So basically here's my thought on the Matrix Trilogy. I really liked it. I think a lot of the fans from the first movie will be greatly disappointed in the outcome of the trilogy, but if you look at it from a philosophical standpoint, the movie ends in the ONLY way it could end. Neo had to go back to his creator, and peace has triumphed over Zion. It has a lot of action, and a great plot that makes you think about choice, action, cause and effect, and consequences.

No comments: