Monday, October 06, 2008

Trackmania Nations Forever

I accidentally loaded up Steam last night.  Normally, I don’t load Steam when I’m playing Portal or any of the Half-Life games, only because it’s a hassle to wait to get up and running.

But I accidentally click on it last night, so I figured I’d see what they had available to download and play. I found a great racing game called Trackmania Nations.  It’s not realistic at all, and the controls are as simple as you can get – up arrow to accelerate, down arrow to brake, left and right arrows to steer.  It’s pretty simple. But the game is a really fun, really fast, racing game with tons of level and a thriving on-line community.

Not only does it have a bunch of tracks to win medals on (an subsequently unlocks more tracks to race), but it has a full-fledged level editor, which allows you to create, validate, upload and race your own tracks of your own design.  Tons of track pieces, obstacles galore and lots of features, it’s a great download.  And the best part is that it’s completely free.  The only downside is the clunky UI, but other than that it’s a great, simple, racing game that can provided unlimited hours of entertainment.

No comments: