Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The Demise of 1up

Wow this sucks.

I’ve been a fan of 1up.com’s podcasts for about a year.  I love listening to Retronauts, Legendary Thread and 1up Yours.  But today I found out that UGO bought 1up.com and EGM basically for the name recognition (and the site traffic), and laid off at least 1/3 of their workforce.  Including people that I have tons of respect for.  Skip Pfister, James Mielke, Shane Bettenhausenm Ryan Scott, Phil Kollar, just to name a few.

Does UGO NOT realize the amount of talent they let go?  These guys have been reporting on the gaming industry for years, and they are being tossed by the wayside.

They are even stopping the podcast production of all the shows they were producing.  No more Retronauts, 1up Show, 1up Yours….

I think UGO bought the right company for the wrong reason…

No comments: