Saturday, January 17, 2009

In which I ditch a monitor

I love having a dual-monitor setup.  It gives me lots of screen real-estate to work on and is a neat trick to show friends. I like having my game running in the LCD and a FAQ in the secondary.

But there are downsides.

One is the fact that when you are playing a graphics intensive game (say….oh… World of Warcraft), The graphics card has to render BOTH monitors at the same time. So if you have a Firefox window with Wowhead or Thottbot running, the computer still has to render that screen, even though there is nothing happening on it.  Which decreases the frame rates of any games that are running on the main monitor.

Another downside is the fact that I had an LCD for my Main monitor and a CRT for my second.  The blaring difference is the quality of the picture. I have a really hard time working on a computer that has a CRT monitor.  It’s fuzzy, grainy and really hard to read.

So my solution is easy.  Now that I have my laptop, I run my ventrilo software and any browser on the the laptop, and my desktop runs my main programs.  Just removing the second monitor increased my frame rate by at least 25%.  I’m getting 25-30 FPS in unpopulated areas, and It’s running fantastic.

Oh! And a HUGE shoutout to Damastus for lending me the gold for my Epic Flying – I still owe you 1650 gold. :)

No comments: