Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Diabetes - Month 1

Well those of you who don't know about my Flickr account don't know that on 8/8/08 (lucky day my ass..) I fell down a 1/2 flight of stairs, taken to the hospital, and then subsequently diagnosed with Type II diabetes.


So, basically my world has kinda been turned on it's side.

I'm on a carb-restricted diet (which isn't all that hard to follow), and I'm on 4 types of medication to control my blood sugar (Woohoo! NO needles!). I test my blood sugar twice a day, and take meds twice a day as well. And I've basically cut all non-essential foods out of my diet.

The plus side to this (trust me there is one) is that I have more energy, I'm sleeping through the night, and I'm starting to lose weight. I'm down to 250 pounds (I was over 300) and I'm feeling healthy again.

Some days it's really hard to keep a stiff upper lip, but for the most part - I'm doing well. Heather, Chuck, Charlie, and Annie have been a tremendous center of support for me, and without them I don't know what I would have done. Heather especially is great, because she has type 2 as well, and know what I'm going through.

I'm also keeping my job at TD Banknorth. With the merger of Banknorth and Commerce, there was a period of time when our little department didn't know if it was staying or going. We found out last week, and it's relived a huge amount of stress off me.

And next July, I'm headed to Florida with Chuck and the gang for a week's stay at Disney - On property. I'm really excited for this trip, and the fact I get 3 week's vacation next year as well.

No comments: