Monday, September 22, 2008

Thank god I love salad...

Because if I didn't, my food choices would be sorely lacking.

Being newly diabetic, I've had to undergo a lot of changes, mostly in my diet.  I'm restricted to 240 grams of carbohydrates a day.  Considering a normal person needs 300 grams, it's akin to skipping a meal for me, even though I eat 3-4 times a day.

So I'm trying to eat healthy, but I also want to watch my sodium intake as well.  And sadly, I do eat a lot of pre-packaged foods.  I'm a single guy and I find it hard to actually cook a meal at home, because I usually end up throwing leftovers out.   And I for one HATE wasting food.  So I tend to lean towards quick, easy pre-packaged meals that I can toss in my microwave and then chow down on it.

I'm still trying to find that balance of eating healthy and eating what I like. It's a happy medium thing right now, at least until I figure out what is good for me and what isn't.   But I'm nailing those down too.  I like chocolate every now and then, but I try not to eat an entire candy bar in one sitting.  Weight Watchers puts out a low carb Peppermint Patty (by Whitman's Chocolate) that is really good.  So I'm also starting to find substitutes for all the crap stuff I've been eating over the last 30+ years and seeing what I like and don't like.  For instance, I got a Healthy Choice soup with Beef and Noodles. Ugh. The combination of the two sat on my stomach like a lead pellet.  But the Chicken Noodle Soup?  Delicious :)

Soda was the tough one though.  For the longest time, I went without soda or caffeine. I think I went at least 3 years without touching a caffeinated drink. But slowly I started to drink Pepsi again.  And that's pretty much what did me in, diabetes wise.  so I've switched to Crystal Light type drink mixes that have no carbs at all, and they taste pretty darn good.  No more Sweetened Iced Tea from 4C.  But I do occasionally will drink a Diet Pepsi.  I still don't like the taste of diet soft drinks, but I can live with it.

No comments: