Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The whole diabetes thing...

I'm still trying to figure it out.

My BGL (blood glucose level) has been up and down more often than an elevator in the Empire State Building.

In the morning after I wake up it's about 120 - a bit high (the high morn is 110), but manageable.

The weird thing is I eat a 45-60 carb breakfast, a 30 carb snack at 10:00, a 60ish carb meal for lunch. Then I test my levels at 5-6 pm and I'm somewhere between 70 (which is the bottom of the range for BGL, and 90).

So what is causing my high levels in the morning?

I'm thinking I must be bottoming out over night, and my pancreas is compensating by pumping out the sugar to level me off, and byt he time I get up it's gone over the normal high.

I was told by the nutritionist that I should eat a 30 carb snack before going to bed, but I noticed my levels would skyrocket to 135-145. so I'm not sure if I'm eating to many carbs (therefore naturally increasing by blood sugar from the food) or not enough carbs (therefore increasing my blood sugar through pancreatic secretions).

Needless to say, it's something I'll be talking to my doctor about when I see her in November.

No comments: