Saturday, September 20, 2008

It's Private...

I really despise election/voting seasons.

Now before anyone clamors on me for not liking it, let me explain.

I've had no less than 15 calls in the last week from various political/lobbyist groups asking me how I'm going to vote this election year.

I have 5 words for all these people.

IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

Now, I understand that these people believe strongly in the people or propositions that they are representing, and they really want said people/proposition to get through.

But the whole point of the secret ballot (and how all political voting is done in the US), is to protect the voter's political privacy.

To quote Wikipedia:

"A vote is an individual's act of voting, by which he or she express support or preference for a certain motion (e.g. a proposed resolution), a certain candidate, or a certain selection of candidates. A secret ballot, the standard way to protect voters' political privacy, generally takes place at a polling station."

Whether or not I decide to vote (which is another matter altogether), my vote is just that.  MY vote.  I may tell my family or close friends, but no one has the right to know how I plan to vote this coming election.

No comments: